Thursday, October 3, 2013

What kind of stocks I pick for my 20% of assets?



What kind of stocks I pick for my 20% of assets?
I do not want to put money in “get rich tomorrow” companies. I’ve tried that again and again and again, it simply doesn’t work (at least for me). You can read about this in “About me” page. I want to invest in companies that have been around for a long time, been stable and have a proven track record. First thing I look for when I’m researching a company is how much debt it has and second thing is how much cash/cash equivalents the company has. I want to invest in cash rich companies. I prefer dividend paying companies that have low payout ratio (30-35%). I hold only 1 stock that has payout ratio around 55-60% and I believe in that company based on fundamentals. I also buy in companies that I believe will provide capital appreciation with no/little dividend. Market cap doesn’t matter to me; I invest in low, mid and large cap companies. I intend to own a company for a long time unless there are drastic changes with the company. I always re-invest any dividends I receive back into the stock. 

My current holdings –
CVX - Chevron corp
CMI- Cummins Inc
AGCO - AGCO corp
AAPL - Apple Inc
HBC - HSBC Bank
BAC - Bank of America
WFC - Wells Fargo Bank
CHK - Chesapeake Energy Corp

I currently have holdings in above 8 companies and I ideally would like to hold 15-20 companies going-forward. I’m actively looking for some new holdings at the moment. I’ve lot of companies I like but I feel they are not appropriately priced. I’ve some capital waiting to be deployed when the market pulls back. Let’s see when that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment